Jumala ja abstraktit oliot
God and abstract entities — The article discusses the so-called problem of God and abstract objects. In brief, the problem can be put as follows: abstract entities, if they exist, pose a challenge to ideas having to do with God being the sovereign source and foundation of everything that exists besides God himself. What, then, is the relationship between God and abstract entities? The article elaborates on this problem and discusses four different replies to it—namely, theistic Platonism, absolute creationism, theistic nominalism, and theistic conceptualism.
Miten uskonnollisia uskomuksia pitäisi arvioida?
How should religious beliefs be evaluated? — Religious beliefs have traditionally been evaluated from various points of view – e.g., epistemic, moral, or practical. Each point of view has its characteristic norms, relative to which beliefs can be evaluated. However, philosophers of religion have not paid much attention to issues concerning the normative force of these norms – that is, why are certain norms relevant for whether something should be believed in the first place? In this article, I argue that, to stay relevant, the philosophy of religion should follow recent trends in metaethics and metaepistemology in explicitly assessing the normative force associated with the norms underlying different points of view.
Paleontologi Stephen Jay Gould ja käsitys tieteen ja uskonnon välisestä suhteesta
Palaeontologist Stephen Jay Gould and the conception of the relationship between science and religion — Stephen Jay Gould (1941−2002) was an American palaeontologist and among the best-known natural scientists in the world. One of his achievements was developing the principle known as the non-overlapping magisterial (NOMA), commonly cited in the science–religion literature as an archetype of a model separating the realms of science and religion. As such, NOMA would represent the independence category in Ian Barbour’s science–religion typology. However, it is often neglected that the NOMA also permits dialogue between and even the integration of scientific and religious inputs at the personal level – i.e., beyond the magisteria. Overall, Gould’s publications on NOMA could be viewed as documentations of his personal belief of the importance of dialogue between science and religion.
Sata vuotta sovinnon rakentamista? Kirkko ja sisällissodan muistaminen vuonna 2018
One hundred years of reconciliation? Remembrance of the church and the civil war in 2018 — This article covers the methods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland’s archbishop and the field bishop in dealing with the history of the civil war on its centennial, in 2018. The role of the church in the remembrance of the civil war has changed from being that of a static observer to that of an advocate for historical research in the 2000s. In 2018, the aim of the church was to support social reconciliation. By applying Tuomas Forsberg’s categorization of four ways of managing the past to the works of the archbishop and field bishops, the material seems to evidence three different ways of achieving reconciliation. Archbishops Kari Mäkinen and Tapio Luoma emphasise, on the one hand, the right to different interpretations of the past in their speeches and writings and, on the other, the importance of making peace with the past through the expression of forgiveness. Field bishop Pekka Särkiö has held on to the interpretation of the civil war as a war of liberation – that is, the past, which is a process of trial and error and forgetting, does not require amendment.
Katsauksia ja keskustelua:
Kummitteleeko punakaartilaisten haudoilla yhä?
Pietismi ajan aallokossa
- Jonathan Safran Foer. Me olemme ilmasto: Miten planeetta pelastetaan ruokavalinnoilla? (Terhi Hannola)
- Jeena Rancken. Yliluonnollinen kokemus: Tulkinta, merkitys ja vaikutus (Elina Hellqvist)
- Emilio Di Somma. Fides and Secularity: Beyond Charles Taylor’s Open Faith (Toni J. Koivulahti)
- R. S. Sugirtharajah. Jesus in Asia (Jyri Komulainen)
- Abdisho bar Berikha. Helmi: Kristinuskon totuudesta (Emil Anton)
- Eleonore Stump. Atonement (Olli-Pekka Vainio)
- W. Matthews Grant. Free Will and God’s Universal Causality: The Dual Sources Account (Aku Visala)
- Anssi Ollilainen. Bo Giertz om prästämbetet: Uppdragets teologi (Johanna Björkholm-Kallio)
- John T. Slotemaker. Anselm of Canterbury and the Search for God (Tuomas Vaura)
- Jaakko Tahkokallio. Pimeä aika: Kymmenen myyttiä keskiajasta (Johanna Tyynelä-Haapamäki)
- Sini Mikkola. Rakkaat sisaret, riehaantuneet rouvat: Martin Lutherin naiset (Rose-Marie Peake)
- Gerard Bush & Christopher Renz (ohj.). Antebellum (Esko M. Laine)
- Andrew Hartman. A War for the Soul of America: A History of the Culture Wars (Olli Saukko)